Newagemugen
Newagemugen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Newagemugen

We're The Best At What We Do - Runnin' The Mugen Underground Since 2010. Underground M.U.G.E.N community specializing in advanced Quality Mugen content, Fanart, Graphics, Fighting Games & more.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is a "null character" on MUGEN?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is a "null character" on MUGEN? Empty What is a "null character" on MUGEN? Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:24 pm

LATER HERO

LATER HERO

What is a "null character" on MUGEN? 42463946061_c82f3ae03a_o
Newsboy (Stone)
Created 5 or more Unique Topics
Survivor (Silver)
Survived 2 Inactive Account Auto-Purges
Rank Hunter (Bronze)
Obtained The Highest Tier 1 Initate Rank

Previously my definition of null characters on MUGEN was characters that can low the health bar of characters without hitboxes... Something like this:

But now I think my definition of null characters was wrong. Because I discovered those infamous chars that apparently work on WinMUGEN only and basically freeze the opponent and create a virtual (non-existent) KO. for example "okihaito" chars like S_Sakuya.

So, what is the definition of a null character in (Win)MUGEN? confused

2What is a "null character" on MUGEN? Empty Re: What is a "null character" on MUGEN? Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:53 pm

oscarlin814

What is a "null character" on MUGEN? 2GPpdMR
Newsboy (Stone)
Created 5 or more Unique Topics
Crowd Favorite (Stone)
Recieved 10 or more likes from other Members

LATER HERO wrote:Previously my definition of null characters on MUGEN was characters that can low the health bar of characters without hitboxes... Something like this:

But now I think my definition of null characters was wrong. Because I discovered those infamous chars that apparently work on WinMUGEN only and basically freeze the opponent and create a virtual (non-existent) KO. for example "okihaito" chars like S_Sakuya.

So, what is the definition of a null character in (Win)MUGEN? confused

Honestly, it's very hard to explain what a "null" character really is if you don't understand how WINMUGEN works. Or MUGEN coding in general for that matter.

Firstly, a "null" character isn't really a strength tier or anything. A null character is called such because it abuses the Null SCTRL.

Null SCTRL is very simple: it basically just disables something. However, even though the code won't activate, the triggers are still processed by the MUGEN engine. This causes some very wonky stuff, like this coding that is a MultiVarSet, something that should be impossible:

[State 200, MultiVarset]
type = Null
trigger1 = time = 100
trigger1 = (var(10):=1) || 1
trigger1 = (var(11):=40) || 1
trigger1 = (var(12):=55) || 1

Now, this is where "null" characters come in. "Null" characters are called such because they abuse the null SCTRL using a glitch. It's a bit hard to explain, so I'll let an 8-year old post on MFG speak for itself:

"In older versions of Mugen up to and including WinMUGEN, there exists a notorious glitch where if an excess number of Null SCTRLs exist within a single state, Player2's state information can be overwritten by Player1 without the need for custom states or making contact with attacks. This is usually abused by certain overpowered characters in order to KO Player2 immediately as soon as the match begins. MUGEN versions 1.0 and above are not affected by this glitch."

TL;DR: A "null" character is a character that abuses a glitch using Null SCTRLs to forcefully end the fight before it even starts.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum